Friday, June 6, 2008

progress


I don't have any pictures from yesterday's activities, so just for kicks, here's a reminder of where we were about 6 months ago.

Yesterday, Greg, his dad, Roger (the contractor) and a friend who goes by Kemosabe put in a lot of hours and crossed almost all of the remaining items off of the list.  They installed the final challenging outlet, reinforced a joist in the basement which also reinforced the kitchen floor, dealt with an unexpected leak, and even got the box springs upstairs.  (You were right, Aunt Peggy, it had to be completely dismantled and reassembled.)  

I wasn't there because I had a dentist's appointment.  I'll spare you all the trauma and only share the one funny moment from the appointment: after getting me settled in the chair, the assistant said, "Let me know if you start sneezing."  I really didn't know how to take that.  Why would I start sneezing?  Wouldn't it be pretty obvious if I did?  Is this a standard dental comment that I've simply missed before?

Anyway, while there are still some things to be done at Mercy Street, primarily refinishing the wood floor, our plan is to officially move in this weekend--in other words, start sleeping there and give the Cesares their spare room back.  We won't be able to move in any of the furniture that goes on the main floor, but we can manage without that for now.  We haven't hooked up our internet service yet, so it may be a little while before I get the chance to update, but I'll definitely keep track of the inevitable mishaps for future posts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Nicole!!! You must be so excited! Good luck with the move this weekend during the heat wave -- keep lots of water handy :)

Anonymous said...

Hooray, I am so excited for you! I'm glad the box springs tip helped. I got some fabric after we put it upstairs and stapled it to the bottom and you would never know we were sleeping on a dismembered box springs. Hurry up and get your internet service up and running because I love reading your blog and don't stop after your all moved in because I want to hear all of your stories. How's the summer job going?