Wednesday, July 9, 2008

"If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?"


To market, to market, to buy some phat veggies.


The good news:  I got all of the above veggies--broccoli, red onions, lemons, cherry tomatoes, plum tomatoes, cilantro, basil, kiwi fruit, and a jalapeno--for $10.25 on my trip to the Italian market this morning.  And I walked, a mile each way, so I got some exercise in as well.

The bad news:   With apologies to the 3 Doors Down (and if you recognized the post title, you are only half as lame as I am for using it), I found my kryptonite at the market as well.  It was one of those specialty kitchen stores, full of fancy-dan items that will likely only be used for one recipe in your repertoire, like a corn slitter or a Le Creuset Tagine.  This kind of place makes me drool and imagine that I have my own cooking show...perhaps "Nicole's Simple Kitchen" or "The Rice and Beans Hour."  And then I remember that, really, rice and beans is my favorite meal to cook and eat, with fish and brown rice a close second, and that maybe I don't need the set of six ravioli molds or the grain mill with stone and steel burrs.

I did grab a lemon zester, though.  I'll use that a lot.

Here's the website for the store, in case you too indulge fantasies of winning Top Chef: www.fantes.com

No comments: